Saturday, March 14, 2009

VARANASI - THE LAND OF THE DEAD and SPIRITS

Driving through dusty streets with extreme poverty on all sides was very upsetting particulary watching man pedalled rickshaws pulling weights far too heavy - and a ghastly sight of a poor Brahmin bull trying to pull a cart with about 40 huge sacks of grain on a cart. The poor beast's legs buckled beneath it, and its front legs left the ground. It gave its all to move forward, and I wonder how many days before it dies of sheer gut strength exhaustion beyond endurance. The same card load was coming behind and this time the poor beast had a horrid bar over its neck and it was so heavy that its poor head almost touched the ground, and the man making the beast move forward was trying desperately to help by shifting the bar, but it only nearly broke the neck of the animal.
Then there were children, wild, windswept, unkempt, never washed, scawny and dangerously close to getting run over in groups of 4 or 5, and so much so much so much hardship everywhere.
I really began to wish and beg not to be here. What priviledged people we are in the West in so many ways. The people here are working their guts out to live. There are so many rogues here and no wonder. The Lonely Planet book did warn to be very careful not to go in taxis and be taken to hotels at the drivers wish.
So I carefully went to the Pre Paid counter immediately after getting my suitcase and was given a taxi and a guide from that counter. To cut a horror story short, let us suffice to tell that he was an absolute crook and God came to my rescue. I became very aggressive and told him I would fight him to achieve my choice. Finally he caved and with great triumph I have found myself in the No. ! glorious hotel called Ganga View and it is verymuch like a Mogul Palace with beautiful paintings, photos, extrordinary books of Tantric Yoga, Ancient Indian worrks of Art and sll sitting on tables in a very beautiful setting for one to read at one's desire. It is so amazing, standing on the balcomy overlooking the Ganges here, and seeing boatload of up to 30 people floating down the Ganga. There are usually many boats just floating with all these people aboard. A flash of colours as they slowly flow with the river. It is very symbolic. And entoxicating.
It is veryhard to adjust to the extremes of pain and pleasure. I do feel incredibly blessed and spoilt. What to do? Just flow along with the river, and I pray you do not think me glib in saying that. I am in love with the Varanasi I find myself in. It has a most peculiar spiritual atmosphere, that makes one feel very high

No comments:

Post a Comment