Friday, February 20, 2009

INTERNATIONAL YOGA FESTIVAL IN RISHIKESH, INDIA


Welcome to the first Blog entry for Nirvana Yoga Tours.  
My name is Eugenie Knox and yoga has been my way of life for over 30 years.  Recently I have relinquished my role as Director of Dance of Life Yoga Studio and have formed a new and exciting venture taking groups of interested souls on Yoga Tours to Vietnam and India.  

2009 Plans have turned into reality and I am off to the Northern part of India at the sacred foot of the Himalayas to participate in an International Yoga Festival.  It is for one week and encompasses many forms of Yoga and its philosophical roots.  

Rishikesh is well known as a Hindu pilgrimage site and for thousands of years pilgrims have sought spiritual refuge there.  

Nowadays with the influx of Western civilisation and the thirst for the spirituality of India many people flock to such sacred sites.   I have always dreamed of going to Rishikesh and at last after 9 times to India, the Gods have smiled upon me and allowed me the time and space to go and seek solace there.  

The Festival has many Indian yogis and rishis as well as western teachers to add to the eclectic mix.   There will be Iyengar yoga, Astanga yoga as well as more gentle styles for the physical body, whilst Pranayama, Yoga Nidra and Meditation will be very much part of the time in class to still the mind as well.

The daily highlight will be the magical Arati on the banks of the Ganges at sunset.  Arati is the waving of the flames and chanting of mantras for all life flowing from the Himalayas to all living Beings.

The Festival is for one full week, and afterwards I am then free to explore places that have always resonated with my innermost being.  Haridwar and Varanasi are places where sages and saints have been born, meditated and realized the Self.  During the following two weeks after the Yoga Festival, I will be pre-planning a future Nirvana Yoga Tour for like minded students and friends for later in 2009.

And it seems Amma may be in Her Ashram in Kerala, South India and I can visit Her there before returning to Australia.

You may like to check the website for the Festival.  www.parmarth.com and Amma's Ashram www.amritapuri.org. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment